Thursday, October 24, 2013

Medical Evacuation

As many of you know, Zach was injured this summer while skating. This post is for those of you thinking "man, I would like to join the Peace Corps, but what if I do a skateboarding activity with youth and tear my ACL?"

If you happen to get injured during your Peace Corps service and are unable to get the treatment you need in your host country, then you have the option of getting medically evacuated (medevaced) to receive treatment in the States. You will either be sent to your home of record or to DC for your treatment which will last no more than 45 days. If you are unable to recover within those 45 days then you will have to be medically separated. If you have to be medically separated, you have the option of returning to your country of service when you recover within a year from your medical separation. Volunteers are able to travel to visit family and friends so long as it does not interfere with their medical treatment plan. 

My experience with the whole process was incredibly positive, although you could find other volunteers who have a different experience. My treatment from the In-country medical team, to the Peace Corps Washington staff, to the physicians that worked with me was entirely professional and pleasant. Julie was able to come with me for a week to assist me with my mobility in the days before and after my procedure. Ironically, I was put under and operated on the 50th anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream" speech. So, while millions of Americans were commemorating this moment, I was having a dream of my own, facilitated by general anesthesia. My family flew in to be with me during the operation and shortly after and I enjoyed being able to see my parents and my sister and her husband during this time. 

Eventually my family and wife needed to leave and so I was left in DC for five weeks by myself. There was bit of a reverse culture shock with the first week, but I was able to keep myself busy to stave off the loneliness and restlessness. The Peace Corps has a great support system for medevaced volunteers, with staff dedicated to keeping the evacuated volunteers informed on Peace Corps HQ activities and events. There are even opportunities to volunteer in DC. While I was there I was able to help with recruiting opportunities at local University Campuses. I was also able to pass the time by getting involved with various volunteer opportunities through a local church congregation. 

Aside from the volunteering opportunities there was always some sort of activity going on in DC. I was able to go to  Nationals game and carry the Tunisian flag (Morocco was taken) on the field during the national anthem for Peace Corps night. Acting Peace Corps director, Carrie Hessler-Radelet, threw the first pitch and introduced herself to me behind the scenes when I was waiting with my crutches in hand (or armpit). That was a great privilege and opportunity for me to meet her and have her commend me on my service. 

I additionally attended a Capitals hockey game, the DC Redbull flugtag viewing party, and a Peace Day celebration, and a couple of street festivals with live music. I particularly enjoyed going to all the free museums, for a while. My museum outings, and my Peace Corps recruiting service, was curtailed by the government shutdown. Just about everyone at the Peace Corps HQ had to stay at home except for the medical floor and the security guards, which meant I couldn't go on any planned recruiting events or any other HQ special events, since no one was allowed to work. Nevertheless, it was interesting to be in DC during this time. 

It was hard to be away from Julie for 5 weeks, but I was able to stay active and involved in various activities as well as make some great friendships with fellow Peace Corps volunteer and government workers who were rehabilitating as well in my same hotel. So, if you have the unfortunate fate of seriously injuring yourself during your Peace Corps service, fortunately you should have a great support system and city to help you through that process. 











0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Julie & Zach Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger